Student Response Systems
Student Response Systems (SRS) allows instructors to ask questions and gather students' responses during a lecture. Instructors across campus use several free systems such as DirectPoll, Kahoot, and Poll Everywhere. These systems do not have direct integrations with Canvas, but still, work well and can easily be linked within Canvas. K-State is not currently centrally supporting any student response system other than freely available Canvas integrations. If you are aware of a tool you want to use and its Canvas integration or would like assistance with an existing integration, please contact the IT Service Desk: Submit a Ticket, or Start a Live Chat.
K-State has integrated two solutions into Canvas; iClicker and Top Hat. With iClicker, students are required to purchase an iClicker remote or iClicker Reef subscription. If instructors want to use Top Hat, their students will need to buy a subscription to interact with instructor created content.
Student Response Systems (Free)
- Use an online-connection and your browser to use DirectPoll
- Students can use their smartphones, tablets, or computers to answer your poll questions
- Answers will display in real-time during your presentation
- To learn more, go to directpoll.com
- Add a gaming component to their presentation
- Students provide feedback through the free mobile app, available at the Apple Store of Google Play
- To learn more, go to kahoot.com
- Offers live audience participation in a variety of polling types
- Gives .edu e-mail users 40 free responses per poll
- Polls can be run within PowerPoint (if the polling plug-in software is installed on the presenting computer) or executed directly from a website
- To learn more, go to polleverywhere.com
Student Response Systems (Fee)
- Integrated with Canvas.
- Locally hosted iClicker Classic vs. Online iClicker Cloud. More information at https://www.iclicker.com/instructors/software/compare.
- Require Instructor base and instructor remote for physical remote use
- Instructor software and guides at https://www1.iclicker.com/school/kansas-state-university.
- Students can use physical iClicker remote.
- Students can also use mobile devices or laptops if iClicker Reef is turned on in the setting. Pricing for students at https://www.iclicker.com/pricing.
- Canvas integration enables students to register their iClicker remotes directly within Canvas.
- Instructors can easily download class roster from Canvas into iGrader and easily upload your iClicker session data into Gradebook.
- iClicker Sync is now available in Canvas. iClicker Sync allows for individual iClicker sessions to be uploaded as individual assignments rather than combine all iClicker sessions into one score.
- Integrated with Canvas.
- Discounted pricing for K-State students:
- $20 per semester ($26 standard)
- $30 per year ($38 standard)
- $60 per 5 years ($75 4 year standard)
- Instructor Guide at https://support.tophat.com/s/article/Professor-Quick-Start-Guide.
- Student Guide at https://support.tophat.com/s/article/Student-Top-Hat-Overview-and-Getting-Started-Guide.
- Canvas integration is used to sync grading and class roster information between the two systems.
- Easy student registration and on-boarding.
- Instructors can easily send grades from Top Hat into Canvas.