The new Gradebook was turned on for ALL courses on December 29, 2019. The new Gradebook is now the default in all Canvas course sites at K-State, and the legacy Canvas Gradebook has been permanently disabled. The New Gradebook offers several enhanced features, including:
- A better user experience addressing user-suggested improvements
- Support for flexible late/missing assignment policies
- New Grade Posting Policy options that replace the idea of ‘muting’ an assignment
- Improved organization options, communication, grading workflow enhancements, and accessibility support
New Feature Highlights
- Grade Post Policies — The New Gradebook includes a grade posting policy, which sets how grades and comments are released to students. This change adds course-wide control over grade releasing and redefines assignment grade release control to an individual assignment level, making grades visible down to individual sections of a course, or hide previously posted grades if needed. The Mute functionality has been replaced with the Grade Posting Policy options.
- Grade detail tray: The grade detail tray displays a grading summary by assignment and student. Instructors can click the next and previous links at the top of the tray to advance to another student or assignment.
- Late and missing submission policies: Instructors can set grading rules.
- Automatically apply a grading rule to late and missing submissions
- Manually adjust submission status to none, late, missing, or excused
- Enable late or missing policies in the Gradebook Settings menu
- More filtering and sorting options: Instructors can choose to order the columns by assignment names, due dates, points, or modules. You can also filter for a particular assignment group or module.
- Crosshairs: The New Gradebook offers crosshairs and highlighting for improved orientation. Additionally, each row includes alternating colors to help with navigation.
- Submission status color coding: Instructors can customize the color associated with a Gradebook Status: late, missing, resubmitted, dropped, or excused.
- Hiding/Posting Grades: With the switch to New Gradebook, the mechanism for hiding/posting grades to students (known as Muting) has changed to provide more flexibility for instructors. To learn more, view the Muting and assignment in Gradebook article.
New Gradebook features
Extra functionality added to current Gradebook features
|Functionality||Old Gradebook||New Gradebook||New Gradebook Guide|
|Arrange columns by…||Arrange by assignment group (Assignment page order), due date (newest to oldest), or points (lowest to highest).||Arrange by Default (Assignment Group), Assignment name (alphabetic), Due date (oldest to newest, or newest to oldest), Points (lowest to highest or highest to lowest), Module (first to last or last to first). ||How do I arrange columns in the New Gradebook? |
|Filters columns by…||Filters columns by Section.||Filters columns by Assignment Group, Modules, and Section.||How do I filter columns by type in the New Gradebook? |
|Sort assignment grades by…||Sort by grade (high to low, low to high). ||Sort by grade (high to low, low to high), Missing, Late. ||How do I sort an individual assignment column in the New Gradebook?|
|Icons and Colors ||Icons and colors used to provide information about assignments and submissions.||Various new or updated icons and verbiage added to help Instructors better understand their Gradebook. ||How do I use the icons and colors in the New Gradebook?|
Functionality is the same, just moved location or changed icon
Need help with the New Gradebook? Learn about the features by viewing the New Gradebook guides.
Helpful guides to keep in mind include: