On Mon., Aug. 19, the New Gradebook was activated in Canvas. Unfortunately, Canvas bugs have been discovered that do not allow the Copy Grades to KSIS or Scantron tools to work optimally with the New Gradebook. The decision has been made to return to the previous Gradebook until those bugs have been fixed. All courses in Canvas for fall 2019 were reverted to the Old Gradebook on Thurs., Aug. 22.
If you did not manually turn on the New Gradebook or setup up a Late Grades Policy or Missing Assignment Policy yourself, you do not need to do anything. Your courses have been switched back to the Old Gradebook, and the Old Gradebook will function as it has in previous semesters.
What should I do if I've already set up the New Gradebook?
A small group of instructors turned on the New Gradebook manually before Aug. 19. Those instructors are asked to contact the IT Help Desk 785-532-7722, and a Canvas expert will work with the instructors to update their courses.
Why do I still have the ability to turn on the New Gradebook?
In Canvas, you can still manually turn on the New Gradebook. Information Technology Services (ITS) strongly recommends that you do not turn on the New Gradebook, mainly if you use the Copy Grades to KSIS and Scantron tools. As of now, the Canvas bugs are still not allowing these tools to work correctly. ITS is working with Canvas to resolve these issues.
ITS continues to work with Canvas to fix these bugs and plans to have these issues resolved so the New Gradebook can be used during the spring 2020 semester.
New Feature Highlights
- Grade Post Policies — The New Gradebook includes a grade posting policy, which sets how grades and comments are released to students. This change redefines assignment-wide muting to an individual assignment level, making grades visible down to individual sections of a course, or hide previously posted grades if needed. The Mute functionality has been replaced with the Manual Grade Posting Policy.
- Grade detail tray: The grade detail tray displays a grading summary by assignment and student. Just as in SpeedGrader, an instructor can click the next and previous links at the top of the tray to advance to another student or assignment.
- Late and missing submission policies: Instructors can set grading rules.
- Automatically apply a grading rule too late and missing submissions
- Manually adjust submission status to none, late, missing, or excused
- Enable late or missing policies in the Gradebook Settings menu
- More filtering and sorting options: Instructors can choose to order the columns by assignment names, due dates, points, or modules. You can also filter for a particular assignment group or module.
- Crosshairs: The New Gradebook offers crosshairs and highlighting for improved orientation. Additionally, each row includes alternating colors to help with navigation.
- Submission status color coding: Instructors can customize the color associated with a Gradebook Status: late, missing, resubmitted, dropped, or excused.
Old vs. New Gradebook
New Gradebook features
Extra functionality added to current Gradebook features
|Functionality||Old Gradebook||New Gradebook||New Gradebook Guide|
|Arrange columns by…||Arrange by assignment group (Assignment page order), due date (newest to oldest), or points (lowest to highest).||Arrange by Default (Assignment Group), Assignment name (alphabetic), Due date (oldest to newest, or newest to oldest), Points (lowest to highest or highest to lowest), Module (first to last or last to first). ||How do I arrange columns in the New Gradebook? |
|Filters columns by…||Filters columns by Section.||Filters columns by Assignment Group, Modules, and/or Section.||How do I filter columns by type in the New Gradebook? |
|Sort assignment grades by…||Sort by grade (high to low, low to high). ||Sort by grade (high to low, low to high), Missing, Late. ||How do I sort an individual assignment column in the New Gradebook?|
|Icons and Colors ||Icons and colors used to provide information about assignments and submissions.||Various new or updated icons and verbiage added to help Instructors better understand their gradebook. ||How do I use the icons and colors in the New Gradebook?|
Functionality is the same, just moved location or changed icon
Need help with the New Gradebook? Learn about the features by viewing the New Gradebook guides.
Helpful guides to keep in mind include:
New Gradebook training will be available in fall 2019.